Spring salad perfection celebrates the earthy sweet flavor and beautiful color of beets.
1 bunch beets
1 small red onion
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns 1 cinnamon stick
5 whole cloves
baby arugula or mixed greens
crumbled goat cheese
• Cut off greens and wash beets. Slice red onion.
• Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 20-40 minutes depending on size.
• Remove from heat and allow beets to cool. Slip the skins off under cool running water. •Slice beets or cut in wedges and place the beets and sliced onion in a large quart sized canning jar.
• In a large saucepan, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
• Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. • Pour the liquid over the beets into the jar, leaving 1/2 inch at top.
• Let beets marinade overnight.
• Assemble salad with greens, goat cheese, pecans, beets and onions and top with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.